TDA Example Monthly Themes
Pilgrims & Pioneers
- Learn about early American history, model making, and space probes, all in one month.
- Create a scale model of the Plymouth Colony
- Design and create a theatrical set and props using woodworking skills.
- Sing Pilgrim songs and American folk songs.
- Discover the great American composers—Gershwin, Sousa, Joplin. and more!
- Learn about the Hero’s Journey through old (Arthurian) and new (Harry Potter) legends.
- Create costumes from the different Hogwarts houses using materials on hand.
- Prepare for Dueling Club by making wands from branches of woods featured in the stories.
- Discover the connections between Arthurian legend, the Neuschwannstein Castle, Wagner operas, and the world’s most famous amusement parks.
- Delve into music from films scores and ballets inspired by Arthurian legend.
When In Rome
- Participate in story time featuring Roman goddesses and gods.
- Use math and engineering to make a scale-model of an aqueduct that actually moves water.
- Build a real stone arch, assemble catapults and trebuchets, and craft a diorama of Roman camps (and then hold a battle royale).
- Learn Latin basics.
- Discover the classical primary colors and try color mixing.
- Explore Roman names attached to planets and zodiac signs.
- Learn the history of the empire’s conquests.
- Sculpt Roman architecture—coliseums, amphitheaters, and arches.
- Delve into music by Holst (“Mars, Bringer of War” and “Jupiter, Bringer of Jollity”) and Rossini (Barber of Seville).